Monday, July 26, 2010

Happy Harvesting!

It’s hard to believe that it is already the end of July. I had great intentions and lots of energy planning out a garden this year. It really didn’t happen the way that I planned it.


I was able to plant a nice three tiered strawberry garden in my side lawn. I can’t take much more credit for them than the actual planting. My husband and I planted about sixty strawberry plants. The plants are thriving and I’m sure that this is due to the long, hot and humid days and my husband’s evening watering. To date, we have picked two large bowls of strawberries and enjoy them just as quickly as we pick them. New shoots are sprouting out every day.

Although I had plans for a large garden, it never happened. We did plant four tomato plants in upside down containers that are hanging from my side deck. The tomatoes are growing but nothing is red yet! We also planted a jalapeno plant in a container. It is on the back deck and my son tells me that the peppers taste delicious. He is putting them on just about everything that he is eating! We also planted bell peppers. They are coming along nicely. We purchased a bag planter and planted potatoes this year for the first time. I am really looking forward to some home grown potatoes. Finally, I bought some seed strips to try. I planted radishes and hope that they are able to harvest within the next few weeks.

So, in spite of the fact that my plan was downsized, we should still have some tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and radishes this year. After our vacation, I’m hoping to make tomato sauces and salsas so that we can enjoy them through the winter!

If you have a garden or are buying local produce to put up for the winter, we hope you will stop by the library for some great books on preserving your harvest! I would suggest that you take a look at "Canning & Preserving Your Own Harvest" by Carla Emery and "The Farmer’s Wife Guide to Growing a Great Garden and Eating From it too: Storing, Freezing and Cooking Your Own Vegetables" by Barbara Doyen. We also have some magazines that will help with some great tips and advice like Mother Earth News, Mary Jane’s Farm and Hobby Farms.

Happy Harvesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment